Bonner Law P.C. p: 212-274-1226 • f: 212-274-1226
Download a PDF Version
Lisa Bonner provides counsel for large media companies, film distribution and music, television and film producers, artists and writers.
Ms. Bonner represents clients in all aspects of media and entertainment transactional matters. Lisa advises clients in the music industry with respect to the negotiation of artist, producer, and music publishing agreements at major and independent record
labels, she also negotiates agreements for music licensing, live music tours, and sponsorships. She serves as film productioncounsel and negotiates film distribution agreements, film financing and above-the-line talent agreements for clients in the film, cable, and network television industries. Ms. Bonner also represents reality and scripted television personalities.
magazine publications and drafts option and publication agreements, advertiser and sponsorship agreements, sweepstakes and contests rules, tour agreements. Additionally, Ms. Bonner negotiates host and syndication agreements for television and radio personalities.
Ms. Bonner is a frequent lecturer, and served as the instructor at UCLA Extension from fall 2003 to January 2008 for the course entitled "Understanding Recording Agreements." She recently has been a live legal correspondent for Fox News and CNBC. She was also the co-host of an entertainment radio show in KPFK in Los
Angeles for 5 years prior to relocating to New York City. Ms. Bonner also served as outside General Counsel for Vibe Magazine and outside entertainment counsel for Codeblack Entertainment. She received a B.A., with honors, from the University of Missouri-Columbia and a J.D. from New York University School of Law.
• District of Columbia
• New York
Ms. Bonner has spoken and lectured extensively on entertainment matters, including:
• ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers): "From Demo to Deal"
• BESLA (Black Entertainment and Sports Law Association): "Digital War Stories: The Fatal Mistakes of
Dot.coms," "Nuts and Bolts of A Recording Agreement," and "Women: The New Power Brokers"
• BRE Magazine National Conference: "Avoiding the Pitfalls of Co-Publishing Deals: A Meaningful Interpretation"
• California Association of Black Lawyers: "Current Trends in the Music Industry" and "Hot Topics in the Music, Film,
Television and New Media Industries"
• California Lawyers for the Arts: "Your Dream Team for Success (Lawyers, Agents, Managers and more)"
• California Lawyers for the Arts, Film, & Media Seminar: "Licensing Others' Work for Your Project"
• California Lawyers for the Arts, Music Business Seminar: "What Major Labels are Looking For" and "Digital Music Panel: Making the Internet Work for You"
• CLE Film & Television Conference: "The Changing Economics and New Deal Terms of Music TV"
• FilmLife's 12th Annual Black Film Festival (ABFF): "The Business of Hollywood"
• Harvard Law School: "Current Legal Issues in the Recording & Music Publishing Industries" (Panelist and
• Pace Law School: Entertainment Law Panel
• NABFEME (National Association of Black Females Executives in Music and Entertainment: "Women in
Music" and "Women, the New Entertainment Power Brokers"
• Pan African Film Fest: "Legal Issues in Filmmaking"
• University of Michigan School of Law presented by the GRAMMY Foundation: "Negotiating Transactions in the
• Urban Network Conference: "Touring, Booking, Performing in Today's Marketplace" (Moderator)
• Urban Network Conference: "Women Who Rule"
• VIBE Music Fest: "Vibe Vixen Panel: Women Succeeding in Male Dominated Industries
• BESLA Conference: Licensing of Sports Images in Commercials, Movies and Video Games
• Howard University School of Law: The Business of TV Entertainment: A Woman's Perspective
• National Black Law Students Association Annual Convention: Practice Insight in Entertainment Law Professional
Memberships and Activities
• Co-Founder and Executive Director, Black Women Entertainment Law Foundation
• Board Member and Secretary, Break The Cycle Foundation
• Member, American Bar Association
• Member, New York Bar Association
• Member, California State Bar
• Member, Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association (BESLA)
• Steering Committee, BESLA 30th Anniversary Conference
• Member, National Association of Black Journalists
• American Bar Association Advisory Panel Education
• New York University School of Law, J.D.
• University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A., Journalism with honors
• NYU Law School Alumna of the Year Award, 2009
• Columnist: Essence Magazine, Essence.com
• Columist: Ebony.com
• Columnist: TheGrio
• Columnist: Jones Magazine
• Vogue Magazine: The Vogue 100